Friday, October 11, 2013

Studying Abroad in Japan: An Overview

Salutations! My name is Francesca Adamski and I have recently made the enormous decision to study abroad in Japan during the summer of 2014. People from other cultures (and cultures in general) have always fascinated me. To think, there are billions of human beings in this world, and most of them live their lives in a very different way than I do. The idea in which the comfortable, familiar things that I consider my daily routine, could seem almost alien to someone else, is simply awe-inspiring. There is so much to learn about this world in which we live in; this world full of infinite possibilities and experiences, and I want to embark on my search for knowledge as early as possible...let's say 2014?

To be: (verb): to exist.

Whilst abroad, I want to further my knowledge, love, and understanding of Japan. This way, I can communicate my somewhat abstract fascination of other cultures with others upon my return.  Hopefully, I will attain fluency in the language, so that I may one day pursue my (even greater dream) to live in Japan.  On a much more general note, I want to learn how to live in the moment, and not to worry about the petty things. I no longer want to take the U.S. for granted; I don't know how many times I've ranted about how "most countries are much more interesting" than the U.S. I want to learn about a new culture, but also learn to better appreciate my own. I want to be--whether in Japan, or in the U.S.

Becoming an exchange student is no easy matter. From finding the right program, to the application process, and everything in between, one might even go insane. Therefore, throughout my experiences, I hope to provide support and information about studying abroad to others, so that they too can have a smoother dive into the world of international exchange. I want nothing more than to share any and all gained knowledge with everyone, and encourage others to take part in an exchange program as well.

There are many important qualities one might hope to possess either upon their arrival or departure from a new country. An especially important one is independence. My parents have stressed from day one, the importance of being able to take initiative and rely on others for as little as possible. Independence is a life skill that everyone eventually learns, and apparently my time has arrived. Not only do I want to validate my self-sufficiency for my parents, but also for myself. That is why I have chosen to seek assistance in financing my AFS experience (anything helps). I have already planned several fundraisers, one of which is selling my photographs. I attended an online fundraising seminar, and one thing said really stood out to me--"integrate the things you love/are good at with fundraising...it will help a great deal". So that's exactly what I'm doing!  I may even set up an Etsy shop (in the near future). I also have regular babysitting jobs, and will most likely get a part-time job.

So, what is the Sponsor an AFSer program, you ask? Well, it is an online fundraising tool provided by AFS to allow potential sponsors to make easy, secure, and non tax-deductible contributions to my AFS program fee. It would be absolutely fantastic if you could inform anyone who might be interested in donating, and everything is greatly appreciated! A donation's a donation, no matter how small! Please stay tuned for more exciting news about studying abroad in Japan.

To sponsor my AFS program, please click the Donate Now button to make a non tax-deductible contribution directly to my AFS program account.

Thanks again

ありがとうございます!






No comments:

Post a Comment